• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Yeah, frankly I'm surprised AT&T is looking to sell Crunchyroll of all things, maybe they're not having luck selling games and when they looked at film and TV anime stuck out the most. I thought for sure they'd be rolling large parts of that library into HBO Max, they have so many streaming services, if they rolled them all up it'd be a juggernaut.

I guess Sony makes sense, just grab up all the anime you can? They'd probably keep everything running the same. Ive seen rumors the deal fell through for various, but who really knows at this point.

I definitely agree Sony makes sense, I'm just coming from a perspective of being a years-long subscriber of Crunchyroll who really hasn't enjoyed the experience any time they've had to use Funi. I've used a few trials to watch a couple of specific things, but it's never made me want to sub. So I guess for me, the worry is Sony buy Crunchy, effectively move everything into Funi and then migrate Crunchy customers over to that, which I would hate.

If they wanted to do the opposite and keep Crunchy running instead, I'd probably be ok with it.

As for rolling Crunchyroll into HBO Max, I would hazard a guess that Crunchy is available in more countries, and so it just made sense to keep them as separate entities? I honestly don't know where HBO is available, but I don't think it's here in the UK, while Crunchyroll has been available for years.

iareec

Banned
Jul 19, 2020
I'm starting to thing that Xbox could have better name for console.
Xbox Series X and S is not bad, but when you buy a game (cross-gen) you see Xbox One and Xbox Series X, why they won't just say Xbox Series? Also I know XSS is probably all digital, but this will be confusing for some customers. Also in the back you see:

547d8an1tli51.jpg

Why they even mention 4K Ultra HD, HDR10, etc ... When a Xbox One OG won't do it.
The way they doing marketing, info, etc. is just a mess.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Xbox Series X and S is not bad, but when you buy a game (cross-gen) you see Xbox One and Xbox Series X, why they won't just say Xbox Series? Also I know XSS is probably all digital, but this will be confusing for some customers. Also in the back you see:

547d8an1tli51.jpg

Why they even mention 4K Ultra HD, HDR10, etc ... When a Xbox One OG won't do it.

I am very surprised by this, their designers are all amazing and this is the best they could come up with? They could always update their templates later on, but I don't know. Also, never been a big fan of the naming, its a bit confusing.

iareec

Banned
Jul 19, 2020
I am very surprised by this, their designers are all amazing and this is the best they could come up with? They could always update their templates later on, but I don't know. Also, never been a big fan of the naming, its a bit confusing.
They could name it Xbox Scarlett or Anaconda. Imho they have bad organisation.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
They're not going to make separate boxes for cross gen titles. You shouldn't be confused about the capabilities of whatever xbox you have under your tv.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely agree Sony makes sense, I'm just coming from a perspective of being a years-long subscriber of Crunchyroll who really hasn't enjoyed the experience any time they've had to use Funi. I've used a few trials to watch a couple of specific things, but it's never made me want to sub. So I guess for me, the worry is Sony buy Crunchy, effectively move everything into Funi and then migrate Crunchy customers over to that, which I would hate.

If they wanted to do the opposite and keep Crunchy running instead, I'd probably be ok with it.

As for rolling Crunchyroll into HBO Max, I would hazard a guess that Crunchy is available in more countries, and so it just made sense to keep them as separate entities? I honestly don't know where HBO is available, but I don't think it's here in the UK, while Crunchyroll has been available for years.
They would probably go back to how Crunchy and Funi worked last time they partnered up. Crunchy would be only subs and Funi would be only dubs. I'd be excited if this happened again cus it's one less service fighting for exclusives.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

Yeah, I agree with you there, Funimation has good content, but it's just not fun to use.

HBO Max felt like a weird launch, like AT&T owns Roosterteeth, they've got DC Universe, they've got Crunchyroll, and yet HBO Max launched with such a small library. I guess they didn't want to just shut those services down without telling anyone, and maybe they didn't want to have anything in two places. I didn't think about the regions though, that's a good point.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
They would probably go back to how Crunchy and Funi worked last time they partnered up. Crunchy would be only subs and Funi would be only dubs. I'd be excited if this happened again cus it's one less service fighting for exclusives.

Definitely agree re: fighting for exclusives, and yeah, that'd be a decent outcome. I guess I'm just worried if one company owned both, the acquired one (in this case, the one I vastly prefer) would just get merged/effectively shut down.

Yeah, I agree with you there, Funimation has good content, but it's just not fun to use.

HBO Max felt like a weird launch, like AT&T owns Roosterteeth, they've got DC Universe, they've got Crunchyroll, and yet HBO Max launched with such a small library. I guess they didn't want to just shut those services down without telling anyone, and maybe they didn't want to have anything in two places. I didn't think about the regions though, that's a good point.

Yeah, it just occurred to me that maybe they wouldn't want to offer such differing services in different regions. As someone who subs to Crunchyroll in the UK for £6.50 a month, it'd kind of suck if someone in the States, who only wanted the anime catalogue, had to sub to HBO Max instead for... *checks*... $14.99.

On the other hand, if someone is already subbed to both, they'd probably welcome the anime catalogue getting rolled into their existing sub.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
If this doesn't bring you back to childhood in the late 80s/early 90s...

Big thumbs up to this! ....and thats why games like this deserve to exist. Regardless of metacritic and list wars, its about having a variety of different types of games that serve different purposes for different gamers...or maybe the same gamers but filling different needs for different moods.

I don't regret my 7.5 score but the more time I've had time to allow the game to sink in, the more I believe it's value to the service is bigger than the score it got or deserved. I hope Dlala gets greenlighted for another game.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I hate waiting, so just say it, if their objective is not to sell more than Playstation or Nintendo, then why we waiting for?

Your core business objective not being to take the console sales crown, isn't the same thing as not competing, or taking business measures to give yourself the best chance to compete, on console sales. It continues to amaze me the number of people who don't recognize the distinction.

Ideally, Microsoft would love to finish next generation having sold more Xboxes than Sony sold PlayStations - and Phil Spencer has SAID as much. But as the Xbox platform now extends beyond a console, it's not their central focus.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Your core business objective not being to take the console sales crown, isn't the same thing as not competing, or taking business measures to give yourself the best chance to compete, on console sales. It continues to amaze me the number of people who don't recognize the distinction.

Ideally, Microsoft would love to finish next generation having sold more Xboxes than Sony sold PlayStations - and Phil Spencer has SAID as much. But as the Xbox platform now extends beyond a console, it's not their central focus.
I lost count of the number of people on this board who have said Microsoft "doesn't care" about selling consoles anymore. I don't know if it's remedial reading comprehension or bias projection or what.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I lost count of the number of people on this board who have said Microsoft "doesn't care" about selling consoles anymore. I don't know if it's remedial reading comprehension or bias projection or what.

You dont go through the R&D and likely millions of dollars in expenses for selling that hardware at a loss, to end up with a product that you're completely ambivalent about people buying.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I don't know if anyone talked about the topic in the previous pages and It may be unimportant, but I will put it in anyway

During the last podcast jez and rand talked and said that they had heard from some sources that Microsoft and bungie are exploring acquisition

Jez said the source is unverified but this is what he heard

youtu.be

Xbox Series X Price | Halo Infinite | Battletoads | Control Upgrade - The Xbox Two #143

The Xbox Two podcast is back and this week the guys will be talking about all the talk surrounding the Xbox Series X price, the reasons why Halo Infinite was...
I believe Jez said at the end of the question section of the podcast that they were some rumors that were going around, but he now no longer believes MS is involved at all. If Bungie gets acquired, it won't be by MS.

It's insane. Literally repeated by the same people verbatim over and over, as if every ounce of reality just rolls off like the rain.

547d8an1tli51.jpg

Counterpoint: There's nothing wrong with any of this. Super simple. It's optimized for Series X, you get UHD, HDR. You have some of those on other consoles too, none of those other consoles are mentioned, because they don't need to be. Certainly not the ALL DIGITAL console on the PHYSICAL BOX. Where is the confusion?

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

547d8an1tli51.jpg

This is probably because the Series S doesn't have a disc drive, and honestly that's probably smart branding considering that.

Imagine if a parent bought the Series S for their kid and bought them disc games to go with it. It's actually less confusing then if they'd just put "Xbox"

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
If you buy a digital only console then a game case should not confuse you, since you won't ever be buying one.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
If you buy a digital only console then a game case should not confuse you, since you won't ever be buying one.

I just feel like it's more for people buying gifts for other people. "hey which Xbox do you have? Series S? Okay, so this game won't work".

If you think about it, putting anything other than Series X (assuming the S is digital only) would be a lie.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

547d8an1tli51.jpg

Game cases won't matter for Series S, it's digital only.

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
I was considering a lot to post it or not, but after few consultations with few different sources I'll put it;

Microsoft/343i is currently very busy with idea of dropping Xbox One support for Halo Infinite.

Even idea to postpone it to early 2022 is on the table. It's pretty messy up there with decisions but they are convinced that they need to make best Halo game ever.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I was considering a lot to post it or not, but after few consultations with few different sources I'll put it;

Microsoft/343i is currently very busy with idea of dropping Xbox One support for Halo Infinite.

Even idea to postpone it to early 2022 is on the table. It's pretty messy up there with decisions but they are convinced that they need to make best Halo game ever.
Would that add much tho. The game has been designed from the ground up with Xbox One support. That would still be there even if they drop it.

Oct 28, 2017

I can see why they considered release the multiplayer first if there's a possibility of a delay into 2022.

Thanks for the info.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
There's no way that fits with any of MS', or indeed, the industry/tech's, standards, as per consumer expectations.

But calling the second Xbox the Xbox 360, and the third Xbox the Xbox One, did? lol

I don't mind the Series X and Series S monikers, and I think the "confusion" is pretty overblown as a potential issue, but I'd absolutely prefer "Xbox Scarlett" and even "Xbox Lockhart".

Microsoft have great codenames, and bad final names.

Oct 25, 2017

Huh. That's crazy. I hope it happens. For Halo to be relevant as it once was, they need to nail this one. I don't think the franchise can handle three mainline divisive games.

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
Current version of Halo Infinite on Xbox One S is nowhere near 1080p (even lower than 900p) and is having serious asset loading issues (much worse that you have seen on PC demo).

Idea is to change at the engine level how assets load, make RT as default (improve/"unlock" some assets), improve geometry, post-processing and add more CPU bound interactivity.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
But calling the second Xbox the Xbox 360, and the third Xbox the Xbox One, did? lol

I don't mind the Series X and Series S monikers, and I think the "confusion" is pretty overblown as a potential issue, but I'd absolutely prefer "Xbox Scarlett" and even "Xbox Lockhart".

Microsoft have great codenames, and bad final names.

At the least 360 and One have some kind of metaphorical resonance that's 'techy' (in a blunt, cliched way, as per most product names). 'Scarlett' has resonance elsewhere: a woman's name, the colour red. OK.

'Series X' is duller, sure, but much more in keeping with wider standards. And it works as per having multiple products.

This thread looks for problems, I swear.

Fire the marketing team guys, easy.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Current version of Halo Infinite on Xbox One S is nowhere near 1080p (even lower than 900p) and is having serious asset loading issues (much worse that you have seen on PC demo).

Idea is to change at the engine level how assets load, make RT as default (improve/"unlock" some assets), improve geomerty, post-processing and add more CPU bound interactivity.

If this is the case they should make the game for SX the best way possible. Release it then port it to XB1.

Nov 12, 2017

Idea is to change at the engine level how assets load, make RT as default (improve/"unlock" some assets), improve geometry, post-processing and add more CPU bound interactivity.

Where are you getting this info?
But yes, that would give me a whole lot more confidence in Infinite. That's exactly what it needs.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
At the least 360 and One have some kind of metaphorical resonance that's 'techy' (in a blunt, cliched way, as per most product names). 'Scarlett' has resonance elsewhere: a woman's name, the colour red. OK.

This thread looks for problems, I swear.

Fire the marketing team guys, easy.

I literally just told you I don't mind the current names, lol.

'Metaphorical resonance'? It was a reference to the fact that the Xbox One was supposed to be an "all-in-one" device under your TV. But to the 99.97% of buyers who wouldn't know or care about your jargony marketing philosophy, it was just naming the Xbox 3 "Xbox One"

"Scarlett" would have resonance because it was the widely known, and even publicly announced, codename for the next Xbox. If people could handle "Wii", I suspect they'd be just fine with "Scarlett"

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would that add much tho. The game has been designed from the ground up with Xbox One support. That would still be there even if they drop it.
Means they could stop spreading resources quite so thin.

But I'm in agreement this source needs some verification or at least some context. Otherwise it's just another pastebin.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

They kinda painted themselves into a corner with Spencer's talk about people "not being left behind" and so on the past several months. Ultimately you gotta do what is best for the game, but they would definitely eat some rough news articles over that decision, and the usual suspects on here calling "Good Guy Phil" a hypocrite.

Perhaps they'd try to soften the blow by still bringing the MP portion of the game to Xbox One, where they can probably more easily scale things over.

That said, I absolutely want them to do it. The major regret would be letting that paperweight hold back the development of the game for as long as it did - probably in some ways that are way too late to walk back (ie. world design and size, etc.).

The biggest question would be... if you delayed it until early 2022 or something, what exactly are your big tentpole titles in the meantime? Because it sure seems like just about all of their major studios are a ways off from releasing their big new projects.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
best case scenario would be campaign nextgen only and multiplayer still coming for Xbox One imo.
With Arena mp being 120 fps on Series X, it should be possible to bring that with 60fps (or 30fps if necessary) to XB1.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot wait any longer for a new Halo multiplayer. Fuck the campaign and give me mp soon please

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Many games on XB1 even with 60fps in this gen still looks better than Halo Infinite(currently), dropping XB1 version or not won't change anything if they keep the same art style.

Status
Not open for further replies.