• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't care at all about graphics engine advancements for this game. Would be nice but don't care. What they need to hit is asset variety, density and quality like Bloodborne, not like Dark Souls 2 and 3.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne was a generational leap in FROM's engine and aesthetic, and at the time was an original art direction that distinctly separated it from Dark Souls.

Elden Ring is a cross generation game that'll be predominantly leaning towards last generation in technical and artistic complexity, hampered by COVID work-from-home production changes and likely launching later than intended. It also leverages fantasy roots for its art direction, and so while it does embody its own coherent aesthetic that forms a new identity, its similarities to Dark Souls are more overt than Bloodborne.

I don't think Elden Ring is going to look remotely as technically impressive as Bloodborne was relative to its time, let alone something like Demon's Souls remake. I think it's going to be distinctly last generation in vision, yet sufficiently enhanced by the new standard of hardware mainly put towards image quality increase through resolution and framerate. And I mean, I don't think that's a problem. I played through Sekiro at 4K and thought it was and remains outrageously beautiful despite being technically and creatively limited by a PlayStation 4/Xbox One ceiling.

I don't doubt that this will draw Souls-inspired dark gothic elements where appropriate, but more than anything I'm excited to see what variety the game as a whole offers. FROM's output in art direction isn't just impressive for the raw concepts, but how much variety is packed in every single game. It's a tremendous feat to cram so many aesthetically varied locals into a single experience while feeling like they're coherently visioned as part of a whole, but FROM nail this time and time again. And their last generation output of Dark Souls III, Sekiro, and Bloodborne proved this to be true.

This footage already shows a wide variety, and I cannot wait to see the surprising places we'll be taken.

Not to mention, both Bloodborne and Sekiro are noticeably more polished than Dark Souls 3 visually. Some areas in Dark Souls 3 are straight up...very lacking. Watching a friend play it for the first time right now.

Seems Sony and Activision's support may allow FROM a bit more polish, I wonder. I dunno. I don't think they're helping at all in a way that would imply FROM can't polish their own games lol, but perhaps different publishers allow for better financials and time to polish things.

OddRonald

Jul 31, 2020
I'm just super glad builds are back, the rigidness of Sekiro really puts me off, looks like a natural progression of Dark Souls and Bloodborne

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
But completely botched and half assed.
Except they weren't used except for a single area.
But this isn't true lol. It was definitely used in the Gutter, Black Gulch, and the Abyss covenant dungeons, it was also useful in Shrine of Amana. And it was expanded further in Scholar.
Not sure what people are seeing that's making them go crazy except the internet's eternal boner over from software
I don't think this post is made in good faith. If you aren't a From fan, you'd still know the answer to this question. Six stellar, critically acclaimed games in 12 years is an incredible track record, and a "magnum opus" project from such a developer, showing familiar tropes but also cool new things like horse riding, open fields, stealth, jumping etc. is guaranteed to be exciting.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
If it is at all open world (why else would a mount be used?) I'm wondering how the performance will be.

Oct 31, 2017
Ugh my god I don't want a game where I have to care about the weight of my armor

Please FS

Make it as fast and fun as Bloodborne pls remove Dark Souls tedium I'm begging

Oct 25, 2017
The video slider at the bottom shows that this is indeed the entire trailer.

EDIT The first 10-15 seconds are still missing aparently
You can see from the video that the last 20-30ish seconds of the trailer are missing. But that might just be the logo and other stuff.
Dedicated jump button has been confirmed.
Omnipotent suggested it wouldn't be used in combat, though,fwiw
Is this known/rumored to have a class system?
The trailer shows a few classes, I think?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The context of the leaked footage is hard to gauge. It was obviously internal only, but it could have also been intended for a press showcase (having been on the receiving end of these before).

It's not overly unusual in the more generous cases of press events for there to be two sets of media; one is the official trailer that is made public and showcased everywhere, and the other is a b-roll of game footage made up of gameplay, cutscenes, and other stuff. Press are given these packs around the time of press events. EG: The trailer is showcased at a big event (awards show, press conference, etc), press are given the opportunity to conduct interviews, play the game, or watch a demo, and press are also supplied with the b-roll footage so when they talk about the aforementioned in their press vids they have extra content beyond the trailer to cut together.

If the above is accurate it could be that there was a planned Elden Ring event sometime recently (maybe towards the end of last year, as per talk of the trailer being old) that was ultimately scrapped. Could have been scrapped because of COVID organisation, publisher unhappy with footage, change of schedule (eg: game was delayed, press stuff bumped up accordingly), or to better time press content (eg: avoid coinciding with Demon's Souls remake press circuit). In that case content may have been made, as described, seen by some people at Bandai Namco (particularly regional branches, if this did indeed come from Greece), as it was shipped around with intention of being shown and passed on to regional press. But the plug was pulled and technically only Bandai Namco staff saw it, until someone got leaky.

Alternatively, it could all be basic internal stuff that was doing the rounds. A trailer that was cut together but never totally finalised for release, for whatever reasons (wanting new footage, recutting it, changing press dates, etc), plus a general demo vid of content that does the rounds to show others within the company how the project is shaping up.

Either way, someone is getting their head knocked off.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Ooooh. I've been waiting for this! Basically looks as expected. I really love Dark Souls but was tired of the franchise by the end of 3, so a spiritual successor not shackled to the DS games is most appealing. It helps that it's been a few years since DS3 now so I'm ready to jump on the train.

I'm very interested in seeing if From can pull off good level design in an open world.

Oct 29, 2017
Really glad to see we are getting a classic feeling souls combat system, at least from what I can glean from those leaks. Sekiro just did not click with me personally, and I craved the Souls/Bloodborne style of combat pretty much the whole time I played it.

Very much looking forward to seeing more, and Day 0 and all that.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Is this known/rumored to have a class system?
I'll venture a guess and assume it'll be similar to Souls games, whereas you have some starting stats/loadouts but are free to customize your character how you want later. [Edit: confirmed by Omni a few posts above mine]

The footage so far has shown us a typical "knight" stock character, a wanderer/sellsword type (curved sword + turban kind of headgear, similar to the sellsword class in DS3), and a magic user.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Don't care at all about graphics engine advancements for this game. Would be nice but don't care. What they need to hit is asset variety, density and quality like Bloodborne, not like Dark Souls 2 and 3.
Disagree, Dark Souls III and specially BB are too bloated with random assets (tombstones, statues, empty coffins/boxes...) I would prefer the game to be more like Dark Souls I on this regard, or Sekiro that also has a cleaner world design instead of throwing lots of assets. I like detail on my games, but having easy to read areas is IMO important too.

knight_cream

Jun 11, 2018
NYC
So hyped for this, looks like a really fun world to explore. The designs look excellent so far. I wonder if they've improved / expanded on character creation at all.

MarcoGorgar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro
outpute5c59739367a4dc9.gif

New Kingdom Hearts. confirmed!

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Disagree, Dark Souls III and specially BB are too bloated with random assets (tombstones, statues, empty coffins/boxes...) I would prefer the game to be more like Dark Souls I on this regard, or Sekiro that also has a cleaner world design instead of throwing lots of assets. I like detail on my games, but having easy to read areas is IMO important too.
No Dark Souls 3 and BB clutter make it far more livable and like there real locations. And sicne Sekiro is the same, i'm glad it won't be like that.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Seems Sony and Activision's support may allow FROM a bit more polish, I wonder. I dunno. I don't think they're helping at all in a way that would imply FROM can't polish their own games lol, but perhaps different publishers allow for better financials and time to polish things.
Both DkS II and DkS III were also released shorty after/before another project, so maybe Bamco wanted to capitalize on DkS popularity and "rushed" the games to be ready "while the DkS popularity is at its peak". I agree that DkS III has some rough-looking areas (it has some areas on par with BB too), but this time FROM is taking their time. Maybe it won't look as good as Sekiro or BB because is a bigger game, but I expect it tot be consistent (or so I hope).

Res

Oct 25, 2017
BB I understand because the residents of Yarhnam are religious fanatics. That would explain the statues everywhere, and the coffins are widespread because everyone keeps dying of the disease

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
No Dark Souls 3 and BB clutter make it far more livable and like there real locations. And sicne Sekiro is the same, i'm glad it won't be like that.
IDK, if having cities with the same exact statue repeated a dozen times makes it feel more "livable", sure, but I think the "gothic", busy desings work well for a game like BB or some areas in DkS III but may be distracting in games with a different artistic approach.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love Bloodborne, I am a bit confused by your wording. Dark Souls has more varied locations, and more build diversity and thus gameplay than Bloodborne.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I think some people are forgetting this was supposed to be only on the same consoles Dark Souls 3 and BB were made for as well. Potential current gen enhancements aside it looks as expected.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I am here for the challenging and rewarding gameplay my men.

If it looks like BB or DS3 I will be satisfied, cause also remember this is a way more open game as well.