• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is this safe? From what I understood, you're uninstalling the game but keeping the files to launch it. If, for example, a game leaves Game Pass and you launch it, wouldn't you be risking your account?

The game will still be tied to your account the same way as before using this method and will not run if you are not logged in (it will also appear in the app as installed). I don't think there is even way it can be launched without an active subscription or license from the store without actually cracking it (which still requires at least a fake xbox account).
Btw Game pass does not remove game files from your drive if it runs out or the game is not available anymore.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game will still be tied to your account the same way as before using this method and will not run if you are not logged in (it will also appear in the app as installed). I don't think there is even way it can be launched without an active subscription or license from the store without actually cracking it (which still requires at least a fake xbox account).
Btw Game pass does not remove game files from your drive if it runs out or the game is not available anymore.
Good to know there's no risk doing this!

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
You can also just unpack the game files and remove UWP completely this makes every mod work and it works with every UWP game: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/h9z1bd/how_to_mod_xbox_game_pass_nms (guide is for NMS but it works for all games)
This isn't entirely accurate. UWP has its own set of APIs, stuff like Core Windows and input APIs limited to Raw Input / Windows.Gaming.* A large number of mods do not handle those APIs and may not support render, input, or both features in UWP software.

NieR: Automata is not a UWP application, thankfully. It's just deployed in that stupid WindowsApps fort knox directory.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This isn't entirely accurate. UWP has its own set of APIs, stuff like Core Windows and input APIs limited to Raw Input / Windows.Gaming.* A large number of mods do not handle those APIs and may not support render, input, or both features in UWP software.

NieR: Automata is not a UWP application, thankfully. It's just deployed in that stupid WindowsApps fort knox directory.

Well good to know i usually mostly just dabble in texture or model mods so that's good enough for me i guess.

Last edited:

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but you need to remove UWP

Einherjer

If I do this mid playthrough will it effect my save? Also is it safe to perform as in I won't be banned from the windows store? I am working on a comprehensive guide for this version of Nier to post here and want to ensure I fully understand this.

Also when I ran the command you posted in a elevated command prompt to remove the encryption it gives the following error on all files: The parameter is incorrect

Last edited:

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Einherjer

If I do this mid playthrough will it effect my save? Also is it safe to perform as in I won't be banned from the windows store? I am working on a comprehensive guide for this version of Nier to post here and want to ensure I fully understand this.

Also when I ran the command you posted in a elevated command prompt to remove the encryption it gives the following error on all files: The parameter is incorrect

No this will not affect your save it's tied to your MS account, it's safe as far as i know, MS doesn't scan your files or anything you own the game after all even if it''s just a temporary license.
As for the command this will only decrypt the folders and not the files in it (those give the error message) just copy everything to it's new location and windows will tell you it's removing the encryption from the files. If you don't do this it will (probably) not let you copy the folders which makes this process pretty cumbersome as you have to recreate the folder structure.

Last edited:

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
No this will not affect your save it's tied to your MS account, it's safe as far as i know, MS doesn't scan your files or anything you own the game after all even if it''s just a temporary license.
As for the command this will only decrypt the folders and not the files in it (those give the error message) just copy everything to it's new location and windows will tell you it's removing the encryption from the files. If you don't do this it will (probably) not let you copy the folders which makes this process pretty cumbersome as you have to recreate the folder structure.

Thanks for the information I'll test later tonight.

Using a stand windows store install I had another wierd issue where all my in game configuration settings were lost after a reboot.

I put everything back and then ran into a very strange problem in that if I allowed fps over 60 and quick load everything ran like its in fast forward mode. If turned on limit to 60 fps the speed was ok but I had screen tearing.

I ended up having to force triple buffering at the nvidia control panel to get rid of the tearing but now fast load doesn't work. This is all very strange as I have a gsync monitor and fast load worked without issue my entire route A play through.

Any idea what could have caused this?

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Using a stand windows store install I had another wierd issue where all my in game configuration settings were lost after a reboot.

I put everything back and then ran into a very strange problem in that if I allowed fps over 60 and quick load everything ran like its in fast forward mode. If turned on limit to 60 fps the speed was ok but I had screen tearing.

I ended up having to force triple buffering at the nvidia control panel to get rid of the tearing but now fast load doesn't work. This is all very strange as I have a gsync monitor and fast load worked without issue my entire route A play through.

Dunno maybe Kaldaien can help sounds like something that falls under his expertise.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
It sure would be great if cloud saves were mandatory for Game Pass games. I lost my Windows installation to a Windows Update, had to wipe C:\ because none of the recovery methods worked (not even dism from a fresh image) and had to install Windows again. Only after downloading Nier again I found out that it stores the save files on c:\user\appdata and not under Documents, where the game stores its config file and where many other games store their save files (incl. the Steam version of Nier). Needless to say I'm pissed, as I was almost done with Route A, incl. all side quests.

tl;dr: The Game Pass version has no cloud saves, save files are stored in the AppData folder and not under Documents instead. Make sure to do a manual backup.

Last edited:

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
It sure would be great if cloud saves were mandatory for Game Pass games. I lost my Windows installation to a Windows Update, had to wipe C:\ because none of the recovery methods worked (not even dism from a fresh image) and had to install Windows again. Only after downloading Nier again I found out that it stores the save files on c:\user\appdata and not under Documents, where game stores the config file and where many other games store the save files (incl. the Steam version of Nier). Needless to say I'm pissed, as I was almost done with Route A, incl. all side quests.

tl;dr: The Game Pass version has no cloud saves, save files are stored in the AppData folder and not under Documents instead. Make sure to do a manual backup.

Can you even back them up or are they locked down/encrypted?

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Can you even back them up or are they locked down/encrypted?

You can. A few games keep the saves in the install folder, which is bad but fine if they have cloud saves. A lot of games keep them elsewhere, like appdata or documents which makes them like any other PC game save.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020

That doesn't actually do anything for Direct3D software. Also screen tearing is impossible in windowed mode unless you have forced the present interval to 0.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can. A few games keep the saves in the install folder, which is bad but fine if they have cloud saves. A lot of games keep them elsewhere, like appdata or documents which makes them like any other PC game save.
I don't think any windows stores games keep saves in the install folder as the install folder is not writable even for the game's process

More importantly though, Nier is using cloud saves. The wgs save folder in appdata with the weird filenames is the standard local connected storage cache. I just wiped mine out a couple of times and each time my save was restored from the cloud

unfortunately that doesnt help you. no clue why it failed to sync

eek

Oct 26, 2017
It sure would be great if cloud saves were mandatory for Game Pass games. I lost my Windows installation to a Windows Update, had to wipe C:\ because none of the recovery methods worked (not even dism from a fresh image) and had to install Windows again. Only after downloading Nier again I found out that it stores the save files on c:\user\appdata and not under Documents, where the game stores its config file and where many other games store their save files (incl. the Steam version of Nier). Needless to say I'm pissed, as I was almost done with Route A, incl. all side quests.

Weird. I just wiped my saves and opened Nier and it synced up and downloaded from the cloud. Not sure why yours didn't work. I wonder if you can download other people's saves and use them; I beat the game but one of my save containers is right after the A ending (didn't finish all side quests though) 🤔

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think any windows stores games keep saves in the install folder as the install folder is not writable even for the game's process

More importantly though, Nier is using cloud saves. The wgs save folder in appdata with the weird filenames is the standard local connected storage cache. I just wiped mine out a couple of times and each time my save was restored from the cloud

unfortunately that doesnt help you. no clue why it failed to sync

Yea my mistake, they are just in packages folders in appdata similar to install folder names.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Weird. I just wiped my saves and opened Nier and it synced up and downloaded from the cloud. Not sure why yours didn't work. I wonder if you can download other people's saves and use them; I beat the game but one of my save containers is right after the A ending (didn't finish all side quests though) 🤔
You cannot do that on the Steam version because the SteamID of the user is embedded into the save files and validated along with the checksum. You need a tool to change the ID. There's probably something similar that would make this a pain for Xbox Live.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Yeah, the news isn't great :P

Most of what needed to be fixed in the Steam version still needs to be fixed in the Microsoft Store version. Some of it's gotten more difficult to fix. You'd think a bump from 900p hardcoded post-processing resolution to 1080p would be a marginal improvement, but they managed to increase resolution while simultaneously decreasing quality (ugh).

You can at least use a Fullscreen Exclusive resolution without scaling problems in this version, but that's not even something a sane person would want given the game natively supports DXGI Flip Model now.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the news isn't great :P

Most of what needed to be fixed in the Steam version still needs to be fixed in the Microsoft Store version. Some of it's gotten more difficult to fix. You'd think a bump from 900p hardcoded post-processing resolution to 1080p would be a marginal improvement, but they managed to increase resolution while simultaneously decreasing quality (ugh).

You can at least use a Fullscreen Exclusive resolution without scaling problems in this version, but that's not even something a sane person would want given the game natively supports DXGI Flip Model now.

Kaldaien

So the consensus is stay on the steam version?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
www.youtube.com

No, NieR Automata + The Evil Within PC Aren't Fixed On GamePass - But Are They Better?

There was much excitement when NieR Automata and The Evil Within arrived on GamePass with bespoke ports reported to address some of the outstanding issues wi...
The video we've all been waiting for.
Dictator I find that it's challenging to get id Tech 5 games running properly smooth without G-Sync - and that they often require modding or specific configurations even for G-Sync to work well.

It should be noted that the Steam version of The Evil Within does not support full-screen exclusive mode and thus, does not work correctly with G-Sync (windowed-mode G-Sync is generally awful).
Using Kaldaien's SpecialK tool in global injection mode can force the game to use flip-mode presentation, which runs nearly flawlessly.
I would generally expect flip-mode presentation to perform better than borderless on a fixed-refresh rate display as well. Still, I recall getting it running smoothly on my old 2500K/GTX 960 system without that.

Apologies for the terrible video quality (thanks, YouTube), but here's an example I recorded for the TEW Game Pass thread:

I find videos like these can often highlight issues with achieving smooth web-based video playback, though - if you do see any bad stutters in that video.
The lower-right stats are from SpecialK, which is also limiting the game to 60 FPS.​
The upper-right stats are my G-Sync monitor's refresh rate.​

I don't know what presentation mode the Game Pass version uses. The price increase to $10/mo makes it too expensive to satisfy my curiosity when I don't make money off the comparison.
I'm not sure whether the Game Pass version fixes the anti-aliasing options, either. MLAA/SMAA hardly does anything in the Steam version.
evilwithin_anti-aliass9qgh.gif

As for the other id Tech 5 games:
Mods exist to unlock the frame rate in Rage and Wolfenstein TNO/TOB.​
If I recall correctly, those games support full-screen exclusive mode and work perfectly with G-Sync after using these mods to unlock the frame rate. I think Rage should still be limited to 60, though.​
Dishonored 2 has frame presentation issues if the frame rate is not a multiple of 60 and controlled by the game's internal limiter.​
V-Sync must be forced on in the NVIDIA Control Panel and disabled in the game, as disabling the in-game V-Sync option enables the frame rate limiter - which can be set to 60 or 120 FPS.​
Resolution scaling should be enabled because any drops below the 60 FPS (or 120 FPS) target will result in stuttering - even with G-Sync.​
If I recall correctly, the borderless mode is upgraded to flip-mode via Windows 10 full-screen optimizations, but I have not revisited the game recently - and have not tried using SpecialK with it yet.​
The Evil Within 2 is a mess and seems entirely unsalvageable, or perhaps only playable on the latest CPUs.​
I have not been able to find a way to make that game run smoothly at all on my Ryzen 1700X / 3060 Ti system.​

I hope all future Bethesda products will have been moved off this terrible engine.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Kaldaien

So the consensus is stay on the steam version?
Yeah.

Unmodified, the only benefit you will see in the Microsoft Store version is that it doesn't have Fullscreen resolution issues. It also supports DXGI Flip Model for efficient borderless mode (every bit as performant as, and with a lot less hassle than, fullscreen). SK itself patched the Steam version to support this feature when I added HDR support, so we're back to square one :P

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
I don't know what presentation mode the Game Pass version uses. The price increase to $10/mo makes it too expensive to satisfy my curiosity when I don't make money off the comparison.
I believe that all Microsoft Store D3D11 software is required to use Flip Sequential / Discard. So Independent Flip in the best-case.

This is the one good thing about Microsoft Store / GamePass, they force you away from legacy APIs that are going to cause problems. Of course they then go and cause problems by locking down the filesystem and various other annoying things :)

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
Anyway to port gamepass save to steam version?

I started on Gamepass as I have ultra wide screen 3840x1200 and don't want the stretched HUD from steam.

But I'm realising I won't finish this game in my 1 month £1 trial so would like to start over on the steam version I already own.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.

Unmodified, the only benefit you will see in the Microsoft Store version is that it doesn't have Fullscreen resolution issues. It also supports DXGI Flip Model for efficient borderless mode (every bit as performant as, and with a lot less hassle than, fullscreen). SK itself patched the Steam version to support this feature when I added HDR support, so we're back to square one :P

Back to the steam version I go.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I believe that all Microsoft Store D3D11 software is required to use Flip Sequential / Discard. So Independent Flip in the best-case.
This is the one good thing about Microsoft Store / GamePass, they force you away from legacy APIs that are going to cause problems. Of course they then go and cause problems by locking down the filesystem and various other annoying things :)
Though most do, I seem to recall Ori and the Will of the Wisps using the old borderless mode - at launch, anyway.
Or at least, whatever presentation mode it used required windowed-mode G-Sync to be enabled for it to work - which is not typical flip-mode behavior.
People were reporting similar G-Sync issues in the TEW Game Pass thread, so I didn't want to assume it was running in flip mode.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Back to the steam version I go.

I am trying to transfer my save game file from the Microsoft store version back to steam. I have tried the tool and the manual method and both times my save in steam will not load. I have confirmed the source Microsoft store save is still fine. Anyone run into this?

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
What is the most current version of Far mode for steam? Is it the same 0.8.5 as Windows store version from the global Injector?

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
The Evil Within 2 is a mess and seems entirely unsalvageable, or perhaps only playable on the latest CPUs.​
I have not been able to find a way to make that game run smoothly at all on my Ryzen 1700X / 3060 Ti system.​

I hope all future Bethesda products will have been moved off this terrible engine.

Yeah I don't think EW2 is a CPU limitation, it just can never take advantage of the GPU regardless of CPU load and constantly has wild utilization swings. I can get it to get 60fps at 1080p on my 1660/i5 9400f, but that's only because it's basically 50% utilization at that point.

That, and frame pacing in Death Stranding are basically the only two games I can't fix with any utility to get good frame pacing.

Aemony

Nov 6, 2017
Though most do, I seem to recall Ori and the Will of the Wisps using the old borderless mode - at launch, anyway.
Or at least, whatever presentation mode it used required windowed-mode G-Sync to be enabled for it to work - which is not typical flip-mode behavior.

This is correct -- I have yet to see flip model actually be enforced for Win32 based games on the MS Store. Most of the ones I've looked into since their addition back in 2019 have used the legacy bitblt presentation model in borderless mode.

It's possible Kaldaien have just missed it because of limited testing.

Or Microsoft enforced the use of flip model nowadays, though if so they haven't publicly stated it anywhere to my knowledge.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I am trying to transfer my save game file from the Microsoft store version back to steam. I have tried the tool and the manual method and both times my save in steam will not load. I have confirmed the source Microsoft store save is still fine. Anyone run into this?

Anyone?

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017

FYI I fixed this issue. Steps were as follows:

Used converter tool to convert Microsoft save to Steam.

Used the SteamID64 editor and changed the Steam ID to mine (it wasn't after the conversion)

I am now able to load into my save.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question - what's the difference between FAR, Special K, and SKIF? Are the Nier improvement from FAR rolled into Special K/SKIF?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question - what's the difference between FAR, Special K, and SKIF? Are the Nier improvement from FAR rolled into Special K/SKIF?

Roughly, FAR is the original mod Kaldaien made for Nier on release. It hasn't been updated in a while. Special K is a generic tool that can be used for pretty much any game if there wasn't a specific special injector made for it (Far, Beseria Fix, etc). SKIF is the latest version of that tool that allows for automatic global injection of all Steam games, UPlay, etc with the ability to toggle individual games on/off.

IIRC pretty much all of the FAR improvements are present in SKIF so there is no reason to use the original FAR download.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Roughly, FAR is the original mod Kaldaien made for Nier on release. It hasn't been updated in a while. Special K is a generic tool that can be used for pretty much any game if there wasn't a specific special injector made for it (Far, Beseria Fix, etc). SKIF is the latest version of that tool that allows for automatic global injection of all Steam games, UPlay, etc with the ability to toggle individual games on/off.

IIRC pretty much all of the FAR improvements are present in SKIF so there is no reason to use the original FAR download.

Great explanation, thank you!