• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017

tweet got deleted:

Unbenannt.PNG

That's good to hear, but I wish Sony would just say that.

Last edited:

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Excellent news.

I hate whitelisting, ruined the PSTV. Glad to see it gone.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Cool, now announce this officially during an event and communication will be on point

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh that sounds very not Sony. I'd wait for official confirmation.

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
They basically did tho. They said the vast majority of PS4 games will work on PS5, they just haven't tested them all yet. It was like the first thing they said after BC was confirmed.
Honestly, no. I think their messaging on that day way unneedlessly confusing. I know they are trying to cover their asses like they did with the PSN name change. It's just annoying to see all the misinformation about PS4 BC on PS5.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
They basically did tho. They said the vast majority of PS4 games will work on PS5, they just haven't tested them all yet. It was like the first thing they said after BC was confirmed.

The amount of people constantly saying stuff like "only the top 100 games", "they said most games, not all", "we'll have to wait and see Sony's list" has been annoying me so much. I'm delighted it can finally end.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I think that was clear from the moment Cerny talked about the APU architecture at the "PS5 Road to Future" video, where he mentioned how BC was a very strong focus for both Sony and AMD. He said that PS5 has a legacy mode and a boost mode, for which they are testing games [he focused on top100 most played] because higher boost clocks can break some titles.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Didn't they already say the vast majority would run on PS5 but they've only tested a number of them with boost?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Expected since the PS5 has BC modes built into the hardware for PS4 and Pro.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wonder if they'll work exactly as they do on a PS4, or if they'll be boosted

Like, FFXV has an unlocked frame rate mode that normally hits 30-45fps. Will the PS5 push that to 60fps, or will it run the same as it does on a PS4?

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
If true, that's awesome, but will keep my expectations in check until actual confirmation.

I wonder if he mentions this due to the way the current Devkits work? there could still be a difference between devkits and retail if so. From the way Sony talked about it, it sounded more like they were planning to verify games before enabling them (whitelisting them).

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll work exactly as they do on a PS4, or if they'll be boosted

Like, FFXV has an unlocked frame rate mode that normally hits 30-45fps. Will the PS5 push that to 60fps, or will it run the same as it does on a PS4?
Yes, that's what I think is gonna happen. It will take the PS4 Pro profile, if there is none, it will take the PS4 profile.

And I assume the boosted clocks will help to smoothen frame rate and dynamic resolutions, plus SSD will have faster loading.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Didn't they already say the vast majority would run on PS5 but they've only tested a number of them with boost?
They said they already tested hundreds of games in March and will test thousands of them until launch

And in June after the event, Jim Ryan said that testing was fine on thousands of games and they will continue until launch (CNET interview iirc)

blog.playstation.com

Unveiling New Details of PlayStation 5: Hardware Technical Specs [UPDATED]

Watch live for a deep dive into PS5's system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Will this mean I can just download games I've bought on PS4 from the store to my PS5?

That would be nice...

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know who this so I'll wait for an official confirmation. If it's true Sony will definitely make sure everyone knows the good news.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the implication with the talk of whitelisting games was that they were going to whitelist ones which could use the PS5's higher clock speeds and such like a boost mode?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I mean thats exactly what happened with PS4 Pro Boost Mode.
PS4 BC with PS4 pro and PS5 are completely different for obvious reasons.
in what way does it sound "very not Sony"? it's the way all of their previous console generations' BC worked
I might be wrong but wasn't BC on PS4, Vita and even PS3 (not the og version) different than this? It was limited to the games Sony tested.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its almost like people have been saying this since March.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Sony have been very clear on this tbh, and their lack of clarity has resulted in no one really being certain how this will work. I am interested to hear official word from Sony on these details.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
That's cool.

I'm sure some will work better than others but than we can collaborate/report these for fixing.
I wonder anyway how big the actual PS4 library is at this point...

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Honestly, no. I think their messaging on that day way unneedlessly confusing. I know they are trying to cover their asses like they did with the PSN name change. It's just annoying to see all the misinformation about PS4 BC on PS5.

I mean the misinformation isn't coming from Sony. It's coming from people on the internet with cynical interpretations. They've been very clear that PS5 has comprehensive PS4 BC from jump. It's just a lot of concern trolls saying otherwise.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I thought the implication with the talk of whitelisting games was that they were going to whitelist ones which could use the PS5's higher clock speeds and such like a boost mode?

Maybe all PS4 games will work, and the PS5 will treat them as if they were PS4 games, but Sony will actively whitelist games and give them boost patches on their own schedule

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I might be wrong but wasn't BC on PS4, Vita and even PS3 (not the og version) different than this? It was limited to the games Sony tested.
PS4 and Vita didn't support physical BC. PS1-3 all worked this way. Vita had digital back compat only, but it worked with every game in the store.

pure

Jun 18, 2019
Germany
PS4 BC with PS4 pro and PS5 are completely different for obvious reasons.

How are they different ? PS4 Pro has a mode to disable the extra CUs to behave like a PS4. PS5 has a PS4/PS4Pro mode to disable extra CUs. The hardware architecture is the same. RNDA has all features of the previous architectures. The clock speed difference for the CPU won't matter. Games aren't written for the bare metal architecture. Everything is abstracted by the OS and APIs.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The amount of people constantly saying stuff like "only the top 100 games", "they said most games, not all", "we'll have to wait and see Sony's list" has been annoying me so much. I'm delighted it can finally end.

But this is just a rumour, I think we should be concerned that blah blah blah

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know who this is and the tweet is deleted. So yeah, nothing to see here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe all PS4 games will work, and the PS5 will treat them as if they were PS4 games, but Sony will actively whitelist games and give them boost patches on their own schedule
Yeah, like that's what I took away from Sony's last statement on this?

A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4's catalog, we've devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We're expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We're currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

I've always just assumed they said "overwhelming majority" instead of all so that they have an out if people try to complain that things like PT dont carry over.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
this is pretty much what sony has been saying since march 2020. hell, mark cerny even went into the details in his video but people still didnt get it/want to be offended.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't see how anybody could expect anything less than plug n play PS4 BC (barring some technical issue i'm missing)

and for the "but sony is out to screw me" crowd, ps4 sold 100+ mil so it's not like it isn't in their best interest either

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Cerny already said this, it felt like some people just decided they wanted to be confused about it rather than attempt to understand his presentation.