• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Theres something we're missing here. Why pay for exclusitivity, not advertise it and then hide from that fact? You get no benefits from this deal. If its just a straight forward moneyhat exclusitivty, it's the worst, least effective version ever negotiated.

On the other hand, if there's a large next gen deal and this is just one piece of that, makes more sense.
Yeah, like if this is a simple moneyhat like Khan says, it is quite possibly the dumbest one ever.

Jul 10, 2020
Well we don't have the exact figures, but having it on Game Pass day 1 would definitely be way, way more expensive deal than three months of exclusivity with no sales lost in a sense. It's not like these would be similar deals and MS just chose this.

There's a perfectly good reason why third party games in general don't come to Game Pass at release.
I mean, would it though?

This is the first physical Yakuza release on the Xbox, so we have no idea what the sales would actually be like sitting on the shelf.
I imagine whatever sales Yakuza 0, K, K2 came through GamePass.
Plus the game is still releasing day-and-date on PS4. So it's not like they cut off the main source of income.

I can't imagine the price for Y7 Day 1 on GamePass couldn't be as high as saying "No PS5 version day 1".
If anything getting it on GamePass would probably be cheaper since Sega knows the demand is there with Y0's GamePass performance.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Theres something we're missing here. Why pay for exclusitivity, not advertise it and then hide from that fact? You get no benefits from this deal. If its just a straight forward moneyhat exclusitivty, it's the worst, least effective version ever negotiated.

On the other hand, if there's a large next gen deal and this is just one piece of that, makes more sense.

This would had to be disclosed right. Like with the PS timed exclusives right? I mean we have these times with Deathloop, Ghostwire, FF7R, FFXVI and others .

Clarification by Imran

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
To be clear, Microsoft didn't cut a check and say "This is to make the PS5 version late."

They paid for things like marketing and shouldered some other costs and Sega prioritized the Xbox versions because of that. Sony has done that too. As has Nintendo.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
So it isn't a timed exclusive, it's a timed patch? For 4 months? So if you have a PS5 you can still play it but just not with a patch. That's so strange. I mean they obviously paid for Game Pass day one but why pay for such an odd thing when you have Game Pass day one.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017

This probably cost very little, but the comparisons of "Yakuza 7" are going to be a native XBox Series X game vs a PS4 game running in BC mode on PS5. On launch week, stuff like that is a big deal.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Imran was this something you explicitly heard or speculation based on what we're seeing so far?

If they really paid for exclusivity, it seems incredibly strange that they would have:

No explicit marketing about getting the next gen version first
First next gen footage has been on PS5
The game is already available on PS4 in Japan like you mentioned
The west version is day and date on PS4 along with Xbox One and PC
No Game Pass inclusion

oh shit you're right, it's not on GamePass...that does make the "courting" rumor a pretty sus

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
PSO2 clearly has Microsoft money floating around (though I suspect it's far less than most people do) and with that all along it's development they never once mentioned even the Steam version until a week or so before it came out and we still have no word on a PlayStation 4 release. Though, I imagine that will come around the time the visual upgrade does.

With Yakuza: Like a Dragon, nothing really adds up in terms of it being a timed exclusive. Just 112 days? No marketing deal saying 'play next gen version only on Xbox'? Sony still openly allowed to market the game, they've even shown off footage from the PlayStation 5 build. Saves not transferring over is the crummiest thing ever too and I hope SEGA can find a workaround for that if nothing else.

I do not think Ryu ga Gotoku Studio got PlayStation 5 devkits late or anything silly like that (in fact I bet they were one of the first Japanese devs to get one), but I think if Microsoft truly was majorly involved here, launching on game pass would have been a priority above all else.

I would love to be proven wrong as it's certainly not close to some of the dumbest moves SEGA has done, but I would really appreciate Imran coming in this thread to make it clear.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This would had to be disclosed right. Like with the PS timed exclusives right? I mean we have these times with Deathloop, Ghostwire, FF7R, FFXVI and others .

it wouldn't have to be disclosed because they already announced the PS5 release date. Even if they hadn't there isn't like there are rules in place for this that says these companies can't skirt the edges of being deceptive.

Jul 10, 2020
To be clear, Microsoft didn't cut a check and say "This is to make the PS5 version late."

They paid for things like marketing and shouldered some other costs and Sega prioritized the Xbox versions because of that. Sony has done that too. As has Nintendo.
Then what the fuck is the point of this thread then? That was Sega's decision not Microsoft.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

Thanks for the clarification.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
There was pretty obvious signs pointing to it being a deal, so not surprised. Definitely up there for most pointless moneyhat there is though, like we've seen more PS5 footage the XSX even.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018

So less a moneyhat and more a marketing deal with an allocation of resources to compensate (like how Bethesda tended to put extra TLC into optimizing their games on Xbox after the marketing deals)?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

So end of story.

But knowing era, of course not

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for clearing it up.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

Sony and Nintendo have never come out and said they didn't like these types of deals though.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018

ok so it wasnt a money hat ? lol. Sad you even had to clarify, not once did i even see you say what the OP claims you did, unless i missed it

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
This is weird one to me.

- 112 day next gen patch exclusive? why such a random number?
- No marketing from MS that they have next gen yakuza first? or did I miss that somewhere?
- No game pass?

I can think of better ways to spend timed exclusive bucks, but that's just me.
And the only footage of that timed exclusive?

Captured on a PS5.

Both of these.

It's a pretty weird and pointless get, I'll take Imrans' word on it though.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for the clarification. I threadmarked it.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020

This makes a lot more sense.

So no moneyhat.

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
So it isn't a timed exclusive, it's a timed patch? For 4 months? So if you have a PS5 you can still play it but just not with a patch. That's so strange. I mean they obviously paid for Game Pass day one but why pay for such an odd thing when you have Game Pass day one.

It's not on Game Pass day one. At least it hasn't been announced for it.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This entire "controversy" is crocodile tears from people who waited on localisations that were delayed by literal years prior to now, and all of a sudden they can't tolerate a 4 month delay on a console nobody owns yet. Blown out of all proportion.

Oct 24, 2019
I know people who are fine with playing Y0 and kiwami 1 on their laptops but kiwami 2 is just a bit too demanding. Yakuza like a dragon is slightly up on that but i imagine some settings tweaking will make it run on potatoes if someone choses to, i wouldn't be able to run it at console quality with my current pc.

Yeah I have a decent gaming laptop, but it's a few years old and I'm sure the tech is pretty outdated by PC gaming standards (I don't really know anything about building PCs and the various parts/specs). It's good for playing old games on Steam that aren't available elsewhere, but I don't think it could handle any current games.

So, the argument that "it's on PC, so it doesn't matter if it's not on the console you own!" is pretty silly. In essence, PC is not a platform that I have, and if that's true for me, then I assume that's true for the vast, VAST majority of casual gamers.

I gifted The Witcher 3 to my brother in law a couple years ago, and his computer can't even run that without being a stuttery mess, so he still hasn't played it lol.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Sony and Nintendo have never come out and said they didn't like these types of deals though.
Nor did MS. They said they hate moneyhatted DLC (and to their credit they don't really do it anymore. Worst I can think of recently is 500 free Atoms with Xbox versions of Fallout 76).

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
But we can't play the next gen version until next year.

Which by the sounds of it from that Imran statement would not have happened for either console this year. MS paid for marketing and paid for their version to be done, not sure I would expect them to pay for Sonys version too.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018

Ooof there it is. A lot of posts in this thread have not aged well

Status
Not open for further replies.