• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Been checking retailers and whatnot looking for confirmation on release dates for these games since a lot of sites haven't been updated with new information since the PS5 launch date reveal. Went to the horses mouth though (ubisoft.com) and they have confirmed the release dates for the PS5 versions of these games, in case anyone else was anxious. Presumably these are the dates the free upgrades from PS4 to PS5 become available too.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla - https://store.ubi.com/us/game/?lang=en_US&pid=5e849c6c5cdf9a21c0b4e731&dwvar_5e849c6c5cdf9a21c0b4e731_Platform=ps5&edition=Standard Edition&source=detail

Purchase Assassin's Creed Valhalla on PlayStation®4 or Xbox One and upgrade your game to the next-gen version (PlayStation®5 or Xbox Series X) at no additional cost. * Release date for PS5 will be on November 12, 2020.

xJfNdAW.png

Watch Dogs Legion - https://store.ubi.com/us/game/?lang=en_US&pid=5cec2d5839798c0870c07698&dwvar_5cec2d5839798c0870c07698_Platform=ps5&edition=Standard Edition&source=detail

Purchase Watch Dogs: Legion on PlayStation®4 or Xbox One and upgrade your game to the next-gen version (PlayStation®5 or Xbox Series X) at no additional cost.* Release date for PS5 will be on November 24, 2020.

LrtLlhg.png

Assassinate or hack if old.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Any news on Yakuza 7 :(?

Also, it's wild that Watch Dogs 3 for PS5 is AU $79 (US $57.60) while Demon's Souls is AU $119 (US $87.60). Pretty sure Ubisoft will make out like bandits at launch just because their prices aren't absurd.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone find the corresponding footnote for that asterisk about the 'no additional cost' PS4-PS5 upgrade on the site? I'm not seeing it.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they delay all versions of Watch Dogs?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there is any difference between the PS5 disc version and the download from the PS4 disc version.

Hopefully it's not a download code.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
are these games getting free nextgen upgrades? because all the lastgen versions are $10 cheaper on amazon (49.99)

OP
OP
RayCharlizard

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Can anyone find the corresponding footnote for that asterisk about the 'no additional cost' PS4-PS5 upgrade on the site? I'm not seeing it.
Their site is goofy, the asterisk is actually on the release date and the footnote is the note I quoted in the OP that the release date for PS5 is different than the other platforms. See the Watch Dogs screen cap.
are these games getting free nextgen upgrades? because all the lastgen versions are $10 cheaper on amazon (49.99)
Yes. If you want physical or don't mind having a disc copy, save the $10 and get the disc on Amazon and you'll get a digital copy for next gen. You still need your current gen disc for validation.
Purchase Assassin's Creed Valhalla on PlayStation®4 or Xbox One and upgrade your game to the next-gen version (PlayStation®5 or Xbox Series X) at no additional cost. * Release date for PS5 will be on November 12, 2020.
Purchase Watch Dogs: Legion on PlayStation®4 or Xbox One and upgrade your game to the next-gen version (PlayStation®5 or Xbox Series X) at no additional cost.* Release date for PS5 will be on November 24, 2020.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
The ps4 version of Valhalla offers a ps5 upgrade right?

Yeah as a matter of fact if you dont mind a download getting the ps4 version even if you have a ps5 is better deal because you get two games for the price of one this goes for every ubisoft playstation cross gen title (xbox versions use smart delivery)

Last edited:

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I hope this is a mistake.

It was already going to be tough waiting from October 29th until the PS5 EU launch date (19th). Then again, it is only 5 additional days I guess.

Last edited:

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
They are going to clean up with that $60 price tag vs the competition, maybe it will send a message. I really hope people vote with their wallets in this one.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there is any difference between the PS5 disc version and the download from the PS4 disc version.

Hopefully it's not a download code.

I saw on Facebook someone posted a screen so from Ubisoft that said there will be no disc based PS5 version only PS4 version and that everyone upgrades.

which is strange as I have the PS5 copy pre orders, but everywhere it's listed as either TBA or 31 December

Last edited:

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I saw on Facebook someone posted a screen so from Ubisoft that said there will be no disc based PS5 version only PS4 version and that everyone upgrades.
The Ubi store and other stores have PS5 cases though so they've got to be selling the PS5 version of the game right? Just standard edition though.

Also not trying to enact any kind of console wars or anything so don't read that in my rant but it's a bit annoying that when the Series X was announced both the Assassins's Creed and Watch Dogs twitter were quick to confirm the release date for the next gen versions of their games but the PS5 reveal came by and they haven't made a comment about the release for that console yet.

I think Microsoft has marketing but it's frustrating that the first knowledge I got of when it releases on the PS5 was this thread based on the Ubi Store listings (and the Aus store doesn't have those release dates that are in the OP too).

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
The Ubi store and other stores have PS5 cases though so they've got to be selling the PS5 version of the game right? Just standard edition though.

Also not trying to enact any kind of console wars or anything so don't read that in my rant but it's a bit annoying that when the Series X was announced both the Assassins's Creed and Watch Dogs twitter were quick to confirm the release date for the next gen versions of their games but the PS5 reveal came by and they haven't made a comment about the release for that console yet.

I think Microsoft has marketing but it's frustrating that the first knowledge I got of when it releases on the PS5 was this thread based on the Ubi Store listings (and the Aus store doesn't have those release dates that are in the OP too).

Yup it's frustrating. And what annoys me is I was stupid and pre ordered the PS5 version thinking it will be the same thing, than after realised not only do JB have the PS4 version for $69, as opposed to $99, but it actually has a release day listed.

so tomorrow I'm going to go into EB cancel my PS5 version and just pre order the PS4 version

it would make sense if what that Ubisoft rep said was true, but why than does every store have it listed? And as you said with no art too! But why is every store not have a release date? You are right it's frustrating. Like I understand marketing rights, but saying a game will launch should be fine shouldn't it?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Yup it's frustrating. And what annoys me is I was stupid and pre ordered the PS5 version thinking it will be the same thing, than after realised not only do JB have the PS4 version for $69, as opposed to $99, but it actually has a release day listed.

so tomorrow I'm going to go into EB cancel my PS5 version and just pre order the PS4 version

it would make sense if what that Ubisoft rep said was true, but why than does every store have it listed? And as you said with no art too! But why is every store not have a release date? You are right it's frustrating. Like I understand marketing rights, but saying a game will launch should be fine shouldn't it?
Yeah, JB and EB were the stores I was thinking of aha. Even the Ubisoft store doesn't have a PS5 option for a non-standard edition, but the PS5 standard edition on there says Oct 29th (and no mention of November 24th atm).

The PS4 upgrade is certainly the best value right now. Cheaper, we know when it's actually out, can get a copy that comes with the season pass etc. I think you're making the right decision by swapping your pre-order over.

I just don't want to grab a PS4 copy early and be tempted to play it on my PS4 because I want to avoid the load times 😂. But also, are there suppose to be 12 days where you can only play the PS4 version of the game on the PS5? That just sounds like an odd decision.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, JB and EB were the stores I was thinking of aha. Even the Ubisoft store doesn't have a PS5 option for a non-standard edition, but the PS5 standard edition on there says Oct 29th (and no mention of November 24th atm).

The PS4 upgrade is certainly the best value right now. Cheaper, we know when it's actually out, can get a copy that comes with the season pass etc. I think you're making the right decision by swapping your pre-order over.

I just don't want to grab a PS4 copy early and be tempted to play it on my PS4 because I want to avoid the load times 😂. But also, are there suppose to be 12 days where you can only play the PS4 version of the game on the PS5? That just sounds like an odd decision.

no I'm the same haha that's why I will finish ghost of Tsushima tonight, than tomorrow I'm going to go and trade in my Pro to avoid any potential temptation haha. I have Mario all stars and paper Mario to last me.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
So buy PS4 Disc. Download PS5 upgrade. Sell PS4 Disc? Or.... would you need the disc to verify the PS5 version?

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
The disc will still be used to verify the PS5 digital version of the game, just like it would with a physically installed game.

Its an upgrade to the "Digital Edition" on PS5. Is the assumption that this specific upgrade is a digital upgrade that requires a disc for validation. And that they will have a different digital edition that is effectively the exact same thing without a "disc verification key" coded in?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Its an upgrade to the "Digital Edition" on PS5. Is the assumption that this specific upgrade is a digital upgrade that requires a disc for validation. And that they will have a different digital edition that is effectively the exact same thing without a "disc verification key" coded in?
I'm just going off what Ubisoft said so idk the specifics of what you want to know, sorry.

https://support.ubisoft.com/en-AU/faqs/000055850

For physical copies, you will be able to download the upgraded version when it becomes available. The disc must be inserted to launch both the current-gen and next-gen versions of the game.

HOW CAN I UPGRADE MY PHYSICAL VERSION OF AN ELIGIBLE GAME FROM PLAYSTATION 4 TO PLAYSTATION 5?
Get a physical copy of the eligible game for PlayStation 4 and once the game becomes available for PlayStation 5, you will be able to use your original disc to download the upgraded title digitally for use on your PlayStation 5.

Please note that an internet connection is required to complete this process, and that the disc is required to be in the tray to launch the game (for both current generation and next generation consoles).

If you purchase a PlayStation 5 console that does not have a disc tray, upgrading from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5 for physical copies of the game will not be possible.

OP
OP
RayCharlizard

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
So basically the PS5 version, and maybe the Xbox Series X too, is digital only?
Well because of how Smart Delivery works technically any case that has Xbox on it is the physical Xbox Series X version. I imagine it'll have the Optimized for X|S badge as well.

But for PS5 I think that customer service rep just has bad information, because even if the PS4 version offers a free upgrade, what company the size of Ubisoft would forgo having brand new PS5 retail packaging sitting next to all of the other PS5 games, rather than having to dig through the PS4 section? Doesn't make any sense purely from a storefront perspective. That and of course we've had separate product SKUs, listings and box art on online retailers for at least a month for physical PS5 copies. You can literally pre-order a physical PS5 edition from the link in the OP direct from Ubisoft.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Well because of how Smart Delivery works technically any case that has Xbox on it is the physical Xbox Series X version. I imagine it'll have the Optimized for X|S badge as well.

But for PS5 I think that customer service rep just has bad information, because even if the PS4 version offers a free upgrade, what company the size of Ubisoft would forgo having brand new PS5 retail packaging sitting next to all of the other PS5 games, rather than having to dig through the PS4 section? Doesn't make any sense purely from a storefront perspective. That and of course we've had separate product SKUs, listings and box art on online retailers for at least a month for physical PS5 copies. You can literally pre-order a physical PS5 edition from the link in the OP direct from Ubisoft.

Good point, in my country retailers have a separate SKU for PS4&5. Reps rarely know much do they?

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
See that's my thing everyone has it listed here in Australia, but with a release date of TBA. It's such a weird thing and I have no idea why they don't just say what's going on

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

which is strange as I have the PS5 copy pre orders, but everywhere it's listed as either TBA or 31 December

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Some wires are getting crossed somewhere

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I'm going to wind up getting a PS5 launch day (hopefully) and then play AC all day on PC (already have it thanks to whatever promotion was giving it away). Demon's Souls looks fucking sick, but I fucking love Assassin's Creed.