[Map] Huge Earth

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio Dev
I'm working on a Huge Earth map!

Updated with 10 players version and Europe start.

Installation

Download and extract the attached zip to:

Documents\Humankind\Maps

When starting a new game, go to maps and it should appear there.

TSL

While TSL is impossible, what you can do is assign the historical personalities to the corresponding slots. And you know, maybe every now and then the cultures match with the location! As for the player, it starts in slot 1, but you can make a local private multiplayer game and assign your player on the slot from the map below.

Spoiler TSL Start Locations :
upload_2021-8-17_11-51-50.png

Goals

- The idea is to make a map inspired by Earth, but tweaked to make regions visually interesting, with more cliffs, passes and nice visuals. That said, it should be too far off the real world.
- Region-wise, the goal is to make every region have something, whether it be a wonder, a luxury or a strategic. It's not a hard rule, of course.
- It has a lot of strategic resources, I want to see how the game plays out with it (especially the AI). Early on you'll get one of each most probably, you'd have to expand to get two, and trade or fight to get 3+ (or explore the whole world).
- Luxuries in the regular map are in the range of 1-4 each, depending on the strength of the bonus, and all 20 luxury types are placed. Some will be all in a region of the world, others all over the globe.
- Right now the editor ignores the slot number when saved, and rearranges the starting positions from bottom to top, left to right. Once it's fixed, the idea is to give different starting positions for player 1. Also make it for 10 players.

Screenshots

Spoiler Screenshots :
upload_2021-8-17_13-3-16.png

upload_2021-8-17_13-3-24.png

upload_2021-8-17_13-3-29.png

upload_2021-8-17_13-3-34.png

upload_2021-8-17_13-3-39.png

Attachments

• Earth Huge (Oscar) v3.1.zip
    747.3 KB · Views: 1,249
Last edited:
looks really good, is it fully hand-drawn in the editor or did you use the image importer at some point ?

looks really good, is it fully hand-drawn in the editor or did you use the image importer at some point ?

I made the basic layout and a bit of height in photoshop on a grid, then imported it to the editor, and did the rest on it, tweaking different areas as well.

Spoiler Original Image :
upload_2021-8-18_0-39-45.png

Out of curiosity, could you post an outline of borders between regions?

I can't zoom out enough, but you can open it on the game editor to check. I'll try to make a map with a mish-mash of shots later. In general, there are some rules to keep in mind:

- Biomes are set per region.
- Islands need to be their own region for the AI.
- All tiles inside a region need to be reachable from any other tile in that region.

There are others, and I have to fix some of them. Plus there should be an update to the editor soon.

It's so weird to look at this map and realise it is not for a civ game.

Yeah, it's the first time in many, many years that another game offers a take on a world-spanning empire sim.

Thanks for the map sir, I was really disappointed by the fact they did not include it in the base game but you already fixed this :D

There seems to be a region just south of Alaska, West of Washington, that is "Outside Game Area". If there is a region limit, there are plenty of pure ocean tiles that I think would be better choices than this.

Dont get me wrong, loving the map. Just thought id send some feedback.

There seems to be a region just south of Alaska, West of Washington, that is "Outside Game Area". If there is a region limit, there are plenty of pure ocean tiles that I think would be better choices than this.

Yeah, it's a bug that I'd need some dev help to fix. Basically, the region with that message should be the top and bottoms one, but for some reason it got assigned to that one.

Dont get me wrong, loving the map. Just thought id send some feedback.

No wrong taken! Also feedback is always appreciated. I know that some areas need quite a bit of work, so comments are always welcome.

I have a mod idea, I don't know if it can be done or not, but it would fit with the Earth Map - let me put it in here:

Mod idea – Historic Culture Change

So:

One could change culture only within an approximate historic reality frame, so you cannot change from Zhou (Asian) to Celts (European), as they are „far” from each other. You can change only to cultures that are in a historically realistic “distance”.

Each culture would have a given set of possible choices for the next era culture to choose from.

Method:
Each culture would be put into regional pools: Like “African”, “Western European”, “Mediterranean”, “Middle Eastern”, “Meso-American”, etc. One culture can be in more than one pool, if needed. A culture can change only to another culture of the same pool it is in.

An example:

Egyptians (Ancient) could change to: Aksumites, Achaemenid Persians, Carthaginians – like in “African” pool.

If none of the above is possible for the player, player has to stay Egyptians, and in the next era change the Egyptians can change to medieval Umayyads or Ghanaians (again, “African pool”).

I guess it would also require some balance changes of the cultures, too…

I have a mod idea, I don't know if it can be done or not, but it would fit with the Earth Map - let me put it in here:

Mod idea – Historic Culture Change

we don't know the real modding capabilities of the game yet, but I'm pretty sure if it can be done that will be one of the first gameplay mod out there, I think that mod idea was posted everywhere the minute after they announced how cultures were chosen :D

so as they can't be unaware of this, I do hope they've made it moddable.

gotta say, the map size is disappointingly small :(

It's the biggest one there is, with 150x88. While it doesn't reach the same level as the games of old, at least its bigger than then 106x66 "huge" of Civ VI :p

It's the biggest one there is, with 150x88. While it doesn't reach the same level as the games of old, at least its bigger than then 106x66 "huge" of Civ VI :p

i play with the yanmp map of 180x94 without random events... i was hoping for that size at least..

IMO HUMANKIND isn't ready for real world maps.

For example settling islands is super secure, unlike say in Civ. Basically islands are fortresses until very late game.

Last edited:
"As for the player, it starts in slot 1, but you can make a local private multiplayer game and assign your player on the slot from the map below."

Can you help me more with this? So, for example, how do I start in India (slot 3), and put all other AI to the right slot...

"As for the player, it starts in slot 1, but you can make a local private multiplayer game and assign your player on the slot from the map below."

Can you help me more with this? So, for example, how do I start in India (slot 3), and put all other AI to the right slot...

Yes, click on the multiplayer button, then set to private, then click on "Join" to select a slot.

upload_2021-8-21_12-53-31.png

Top Bottom